La Salle County (Cotulla)
Architect: Henry T. Phelps
Year Built: 1931
This is the 4th La Salle County Courthouse since the county was created in 1858. All of them have been built in the same location –in the center and the highest point of Cotulla, facing a public square.
This courthouse building was designed by renowned Texas courthouse architect Henry Phelps, considered his last, most ambitious and imaginative courthouse design.
The gold-leaf spread eagle seen above each entrance is a national symbol, indicating freedom and strength. Arrows in the claws of the eagle symbolize the readiness to protect and defend.
Phelps had also designed the County’s 1905 courthouse, along with courthouses in several counties, including Uvalde, Willacy, Kenedy, Blanco, Atascosa and Jim Hogg Counties. He also designed the Nix Professional Building on San Antonio’s river walk.