Calhoun County (Port Lavaca)
Architect: George Rustay and Foy Martin
Year Built: 1959.
On April 4, 1846, Calhoun County was formed from parts of Victoria, Jackson, and Matagorda counties and named for John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, who had advocated Texas statehood. Lavaca was the first county seat. But, as a result of the development of the Indianola Railroad, the formation of other transportation lines, and a shift of population, Indianola became more important and was made county seat in 1852.
Calhoun County’s strategic location on the Texas Gulf Coast has made it a big player in immigration to the U.S., and historical wars including the Civil War and World War II. It has also seen more than its share of major storms and Hurricanes, including Hurricane Carla in 1961.