Rockwall County Historic Courthouse (Rockwall)
Architect: Voelcker & Dixon.
Year Built: 1941.
The Rockwall County Historic Courthouse is located in the City of Rockwall, Texas. C0nstruction of the 1941 courthouse to replace the 1893 courthouse was a WPA Project.
Rockwall is the smallest Texas County in area, but its population has surged tremendously. The historic courthouse stands on a quaint square in the middle of town. Most County activity occurs at the massive “new” courthouse built in 2010. According to the THC database, a Master Plan to restore the Rockwall courthouse was submitted by Hendricks & Brontner Architects, but rejected. Eventually the courthouse was restored in 2002.
About the Courthouse, from The Living New Deal:
Rockwall County ,,, was primarily agricultural during the Great Depression. By 1940, fifteen percent of the available workers were doing relief jobs or in search of work. The federal government kept the county government from bankruptcy with federal relief funds.
Through the Work Projects Administration (originally named the Works Progress Administration), a new courthouse was constructed to replace the old one built in 1893. Voelcker and Dixon designed the $100,000 Moderne style stone structure, the third courthouse for Rockwall County.
Text of the Rockwall County Historical Marker:
Formed from Kaufman County. Organized March 1, 1873. April 23, 1873 Named for a curious geological formation, an underground rock wall, that comes to the surface in several localities County seat, Rockwall.
2010 Courthouse as it appeared in May 2022.