Grimes County (Anderson)
Year Built: 1894.
Architect: F.S. Glover & Co.
The unique Itialianate style Grimes County Courthouse is located in historic Anderson, Texas. The current courthouse is the Fifth to serve the County, and was restored by the Texas Historic Commission and rededicated in 2002.
There is an excellent paper written about the History of the Grimes County Courthouse posted on the Grimes County Historical Commission‘s page. Here’s an excerpt:
The first Grimes County Courthouse was constructed from cedar logs. Fire destroyed this structure in 1838, and in 1850, a ferocious wind destroyed the second Courthouse. W.W. Arrington designed the third Courthouse and built it from stone in February, 1859. The third Courthouse burned on May 15, 1890, and the fire of January 20, 1893 destroyed the fourth Courthouse. This (5th) Courthouse was built in 1894.
The Courthouse bricks have 3 distinct colors: (1) the original hand molded red brick of the surviving 1891 east wall vaults; (2) the 1894 pinkish red brick on the south, west, and part of the north walls, and (3) a rustic brown colored brick on a section of the north wall. The third color of brick has an interesting story. The bricklayer had run out of bricks and was waiting impatiently for a wagonload of bricks to be delivered. While waiting for the bricks to arrive, he went around town gathering a few bricks to keep his job moving along. When the wagon arrived, he continued bricking with the original bricks.
Text of the the Grimes County Historical Marker located on the courthouse circle:
On road used 1690 by Spanish explorer Alonso de Leon. In 1821 Andrew Millican began settlement. Henry Fanthorp opened his inn 1834, a post office 1835. Kenneth Anderson, last Vice-President, Republic of Texas, died at Fanthorp’s, 1845. After his burial here town was named for him. County created and organized 1846. Named in honor of Jesse Grimes (1788-1866), a signer of Declaration of Independence and member of Congress, Republic of Texas.
Anderson was made the county seat.
During Civil War, 1861-1865, had a gun factory, furnished troops, food, cotton.